Re: docs on compiling kernels for miboot?

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 05:20:05AM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 02:54:36PM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
>
> > zImage is just the compressed vmlinux file, isn't it ? in this case it is
>
> no
>
> > needed for apus. That said, back then for when i was doing apus kernel work,
> > and in charge of the -apus kernel images, i added a vmlinux.gz target to build
> > the needed kernel. Are zImage and vmlinux.gz (also called vmlinuz) the same ?
>
> no.
>
> <rant>
> this is absurd, this goofball archetecture needs too many fscking
> kernel images, i386 gets along with 2, soon to be one. sparc as gotten
> along fine with one (gzip -9 -c vmlinux > vmlinuz)

Yes, this one is the one we use also, ...

I added a patch at some time back that would generate the vmlinuz directly,
calling it vmlinux.gz, but i don't know what happened to it sicne then.

> kernel-package is simply going to need some extra options, it must
> support a switch to define what kernel image formats it will include
> in the given package.  we cannot have kernel-image packages with 20
> different versions of the same damn image file when 19 of them are
> worthless cruft on any given system.
>
> that way apus uses -vmlinuz silo/yaboot/quik uses -vmlinuz, oldworld
> adds -miboot and -coff, and so on.  there is probably a cleaner way to
> do this...

Is there a particular reason why mac boot stuff can't cope with just plain
vmliunz ? or maybe the conversion stuff could be added to the bootloader
program instead of residing in the kernel ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther