Re: openfirmware display

fheitka@attglobal.net wrote:

> I have been trying to get X11 running on my new Mac. It seems the Nvidia
> card that came with it is not yet supported and the framebuffer is using the
> open firmware video somehow.

Have you tried rivafb?

> I've got X to work however, the colormap is all wrong

The X server tries to change the palette entries, but that doesn't work with
OFfb.

> and I can't seem to figure out how to fix it. fbset says I have a 24 8/8/8/0
> display, but X will only run in 8 bit mode.  I have to get the framebuffer
> in 8 bit mode or get X in 24.

It's most definitely really 8 bit, it says 8/8/8/0 because it's pseudocolor
and the palette entries are 24 bit wide. I don't know if/how you could change
the depth OF sets but that's the only way you could change it without rivafb
or the XFree86 nv driver.

I'm sorry I have to say this, but the NVidia card is really a bad choice for
Linux. It's very unlikely that there will ever be decent support. The Radeon
OTOH is fully supported in 2D and hopefully soon in 3D as well. :)