Re: X 4.1.0 0pre1v1.3 debs on pismo (not working)

Steven Hanley wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 24, 2001 at 09:33:07PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > This is the vgaHW related problem we have been discussing this week. You
> > need to apply one of mine or Ani Joshi's hacks when building.
>
> okay I applied ani's that was posted to pppcdev sometime last week. let it o
> and compile for an hour or so again and got a driver out of it.
>
> Now instead of sug11 it does that thing where it looks like the lcd screen
> is melting again (I saw this a few times with 4.0.1 drivers when I used the
> plain debian compiled drivers instead of ani's entire rsync tree to compile
> my drivers)

That's the chip hanging because the flat panel registers have been programmed
for bogus panel dimensions (because we don't have a video BIOS). Either add

    Option 	"PanelWidth"	"1024"
    Option	"PanelHeight"	"768"

(everyone needs to specify their panel size of course ;) or

    Option	"ProgramFPRegs"	"No"

to Section "Device".

I'm working on a way to make the server exit gracefully when these are missing
but haven't succeeded yet.

> hmm well I got X running without it melting the screen by putting the
> UseFBDev option into the device section, now I will have to work out if DRI
> is infact working or not, no idea how to tell that from the X startup log
> but hey.
>
> Anyway the module is loaded and X at least works again, though in 24 bit
> colour mode, does DRI and 3d stuff work in this mode? or should I run in
> 15bpp? (16bpp gives weird colours)

DRI only works in depth 16 or depth 24, fbbpp 32, but on a Pismo there's not
enough video RAM to hold all the necessary buffers for the latter so you're
pretty much stuck with depth 16. You're gonna need
http://n.ethz.ch/student/daenzerm/download/fbdev/aty128fb-16bit.diff to use
that with UseFBDev.

Also read the DRI user guide at http://dri.sf.net/doc/DRIuserguide.html .

> Weirdly the mentions of UseFBDev in the vgaHW thread seemed to indicate it
> was not needed, I never had it in my config file before now (for 4.0.1
> drivers)

It's not needed but I recommend it for a variety of reasons including but not
limited to better sleep support. You've experienced at least two other
reasons. ;)