Re: Postgresql

> Funny you mention this, as there was a thread a while back with almost
> the exact same subject (except postgresql wasn't capitalized).

I checked through that group of postings (after you mentioned this, I should
have checked first), and very little of it actually revolved around
postgresql, that I could tell. They were related, but not about the actual
Subject: line.

I downloaded the 7.1.2 package source and related files, but now I can't even
compile it. The error message I get (by taking the easy way out) when I do
the "debian/rules binary" is :
checking for CRYPTO_new_ex_data in -lcrypto... no
configure: error: library 'crypto' is required for OpenSSL
make: *** [config.cache] Error 1

I've tried various methods of getting the 'crypto' library installed, and
none of them worked. I've found that the 'crypto' library is variously three
different libs, or one. Someone told me (from the Zope list, actually) that
I'm not tracking non-US in my sources.list. But I am, as my sources.list is
pointing at debian.uk.org and even specifically
http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main contrib non-free

Interestingly, if I do "debian/rules binary" again, I get a different error
message: You need to run the 'configure' program first. See the file
'INSTALL' for installation instructions.
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/post/postgresql-7.1.2'
make: *** [build-stamp] Error 1

So, I run the 'configure' program, which seems to work, after which I do
'debian/rules binary' again, and get:
debian/rules: build-test target
dh_testdir
dh_testroot -a
dh_clean -a -k
dh_installdirs -a
debian/rules: perl-build target
cp -a src/include
/usr/src/post/postgresql-7.1.2/debian/tmp/usr/lib/postgresql/
cp src/interfaces/libpq/*.h
/usr/src/post/postgresql-7.1.2/debian/tmp/usr/lib/postgresql/include
cd src/interfaces/perl5 && \
	make -f Makefile	LDDLFLAGS="-shared
-L/usr/src/post/postgresql-7.1.2/debian/tmp/usr/lib" \
		LDFLAGS=-L../libpq \
		LDLOADLIBS="-L../libpq -lpq -lc"
make[1]: Entering directory
`/usr/src/post/postgresql-7.1.2/src/interfaces/perl5'
make[1]: Makefile: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `Makefile'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/post/postgresql-7.1.2/src/interfaces/perl5'make: *** [perl-build]
Error 2

Of course, getting perl5 (which 'apt-get install perl5' or '5.6' calls 'perl'
and 'perl5-base') isn't working, either, because I've got the newest version,
but for some reason doesn't work when I'm compiling from (dsc) source.

What fun this is!

Russell