Re: XFree86 4.1.0: Cannot read V_BIOS (5)

Michel Danzer wrote:

> The problem is that the vgaHW layer now tries to do ISA I/O using a new
> syscall to get the iobase. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work on
> UniNorth
> machines. For now you'll have to either use Option "UseFBDev" or hack the
> syscall (something with sysconfig_iobase) out of your kernel or X  server.

I don't know who started relating this to a UniNorth-specific problem but
that is wrong.  The crash occurs because vgaHW tries to read the DAC which
in theory doesn't exist on "Mac" boards, or just doesn't respond.  This is
not a UniNorth issue but an issue on *all* Macs.

> BenH, do you have an idea why this doesn't work or how we could make  that
> syscall fail for machines where it doesn't work?

The syscall has *nothing* to do with this situation.

ani
(please cc me any replies, as I am not on this list)