Re: XFree86 4.1.0: call for help

Ani Joshi wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Kostas Gewrgiou wrote:
>
> > The #ifdef __powerpc__ isn't right (and we can't use os specific
> > code in the drivers) so the fix has to go in another layer,
> > crippling another os to fix our problems isn't the right solution.
>
> Well, that's not really true.  There's already lots of os specific code
> in drivers,

You're talking about the status quo, Kostas about the way it should be. Just
because it's not like that now doesn't mean we don't have to care about it
anymore.

> look at fbdevhw for instance.

The OS dependance is encapsulated in fbdevHW or the driver is broken. On OSs
other than Linux, the loading of the module just fails and it works the same
as without Option "UseFBDev", so the driver is really OS independent.

> Anyhow, the patch was for testing purposes, the real fix is to vgaHW and
> #undef'ing NEED_SAVED_CMAP.

Geez:

#if defined(Lynx) || defined(CSRG_BASED) || defined(MACH386) || defined(linux)
|| defined(AMOEBA) || defined(MINIX) || defined(__QNX__) || defined(sun) ||
defined(__GNU__)
#ifndef NEED_SAVED_CMAP
#define NEED_SAVED_CMAP

Good luck changing this the right way. :) And no, just checking for
__powerpc__ won't do for the reasons above.