modules.conf, modules.dep and module dependencies problems?

I'm sorting out why I can't seem to get atalkd running.  I recompiled
the kernel to support appletalk, but now I seem to have
run into a modules problem.  On startup, modprobe complains:
"Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.2.18pre21/
modules.dep"

This is indeed true because I uncommented an alias in modules.conf
(editing /etc/modutils/aliases and called update-modules).  It
turns out that I can get modprobe to stop complaining by typing
depmod -Av 2.2.18pre21.  This updates modules.dep to be more recent
than modules.conf.  Curiously, however, modules.dep does not
remain the most recent upon reboot.  After restarting, modprobe
again complains that "/etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/
2.2.18pre21/modules.dep".  How do I get modprobe to stop complaining
when I restart or how do I permanently save changes to modules.dep?

I didn't have this problem before I recompiled and re-installed the
kernel.

Oh, by the way as well, "update-modules" complains that there is no
architecture specific file for my powerpc in the /etc/modutils/arch/
directory.  Checking that directory, I don't find one. Do I need one
to get update-modules to work properly?

Thanks,

--
c h @ d  @ l b e r s