Kernel 2.4.4 "wrong magic"

Today I obtained kernel-image-2.4.4-1 from the unstable tree.  I installed
it, updated my yaboot.conf to point to the new kernel, and gave it a reboot.

When the machine gets going, it starts to boot the kernel, and then dies,
unable to mount the root filesystem.  It says "wrong magic" and then panics.

To the best of my knowledge, "wrong magic" is a cramfs error, which would
imply that the new kernel image wants an initrd image (or something) to boot
off of.  If this is the case, why doesn't the image come with the package?
Does anybody know how to make such an image?

I'm a little confused, since the package installed without complaint and the
docs make no mention of having to build anything differently than I'm used to.

Thanks,

Jason

--
Jason Healy    |     jhealy@logn.net