Re: Executing shell scripts on the linux server from the mac-side.

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 10:26:41AM +0200, Gjermund Gusland Thorsen wrote:
> Eeh? I use ssh most the time and all those regular .sh are launched by crontab, but I need to execute some scripts on a more pr opinion basis, and it would be very convenient to put a .sh file in the same folder as to where I?d like the task to be performed.
>
> Security risk or no?

yes security risk.  MacOS is not a secure OS.

furthermore i know of no network filesystem that has such behavior.
if you execute a shell script sitting on NFS its executed on whatever
machine you executed it, NOT the NFS server.  imagine the implications otherwise...

> I?m only using debian with netatalk on my LAN, for doing some stuff I never managed to do with AppleScript...

GNU/Linux is not MacOS, its not an extension to MacOS either.  deal
with it.

what you have setup is simply a file server, if the server were a
MacOS file server it would also not allow this.

what you are looking for is a workstation, i would suggest installing
debian on your workstation, or perhaps using a remote X11 session.
unfortuantly X servers for MacOS are both scarce and very very slow.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/