Re: APUS Debian Boot-Floppies Images and bugs

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 03:15:14PM +0100, Alan Buxey wrote:
> hi,
>
> > Don't you need some part of AmigaOS to make a floppy bootable?
>
> no, and yes.  Under AmigaOS you run 'install df0:' but this doesnt
> put any files onto the disk as such, it just writes a bootblock
> (a few hundred bytes) to the floppy. Theres no reason why we couldnt have
> an AmigaOS bootblock and write it to disk with 'dd'

but you do get access to the CLI if i remember well, isn't it ?

> > Doesn't at least amiboot need some libraries to be present on the system you
> > are booting from?
>
> not that i can think of.  certainly boot-programs (such as the
> APUS/AF-booter (by Mr Duncan ) need MUI libraries, but the plain
> boothack/bootstrap for APUS just needs powerpc.library, which is in ROM

Not on cyberstorm boards. how big is it anyway ? I don't think we can ship
that, but then maybe we could, if we ask nicely. Ralph would be the author, no
that there is no phase5 anymore. Also this don't apply to the m68k case.

If nothing did change since potato, boot floppies are non free anyway.

> > Can all hardware already be set up by the kernel?
>
> almost all supported stuff...the only main exception that rings alarm
> bells in my head is the CyverVision3D - doesnt this have to be initialised
> to the resolution you want under workbench before laucnhing into APU - or
> is this now fixed?
>
> > How do you get the image on the floppy, from linux? From AmigaOS? It
> > probably has to be done on an amiga to use the 1.76MB drives (or on a PC
> > with a catweasel controller, even less probable).
>
> Linux can write 1.76Mb floppy images:
>
> brw-rw----   1 almb     floppy     2,  96 May 25  2000 fd0H1760
>
> it can also write 1.92Mb diskettes, but that is flakey on most floppy
> hardware. The reasons why PC disk-drives cannot read Amiga floppy disks
> is not because they cannot cope with the capacity, its all down to the
> format of the layout and timings. If you're running APUS you'll be running
> with Amiga hardware anyway.
>
> > So I guess you need an Amgia, running AmigaOS, to create these floppies, to
> > then be able to boot from those floppies. Probably we will not be allowed to
> > ship those floppies or even images of them, due to copyright reasons, so
> > every user has to create them himself.
>
> theres no issue of copyright with bootable floppies. PD software has been
> on such things for years.  I guess as a last resort we can create a
> bootable emegency floppy, compact it into ADF format and then it can go
> onto the CD - and users can make it themselves from under AmigaOS with
> transADF and the like?

why not a plain gzipped tarball or lha archive ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther