Re: Audio CDs on Titanium G4 Powerbook

On 09 May 2001 13:19:22 +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > > hdx=scsi is necessary to let cdparanoia or other tools access the audio
> > > data on the device (though you'd think that it should be possible using
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > IDE ATAPI commands directly). Without a conextion from the CD audio out to
> >
> > Are you talking about the TiPB or PowerPC/PowerMacs in general ?
>
> The new Powerbooks and the cube, of course. Earlier versions had sane CD
> audio support.

No, I'm talking about the bit I underlined. It is possible to use ATAPI
commands to extract the audio.

BTW, iBooks and iMacs (since their first "DV" revision) have missed the
passthru cable, and using ATAPI works fine.

I posted about a plugin for xmms last year called xmms-cdparanoia when I
encountered this problem. People having trouble with their Audio CDs
should refer to the lenghty thread we had last year.

I reckon this should be put in a FAQ somewhere easily accessible to
people installing Linux on their PowerMacs machines.

Cheers

PS: the plugin is at http://hadess.net/files/ppc/ , binary and source
the original source seems to have disappeared from sourceforge
--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net