Re: LaserWiter TCP/IP Printing Problem

Hi there,

On   8 May, this message from Andrei Verovski echoed through cyberspace:
> I have several print queues on Linux (with LPR old), working OK with
> Samba. However, when I try to print from Mac with LaserWiter TCP/IP, I've
> got error 8827.

I tried this some time ago, but found that Apple's LPR implementation is
crap, so I forgot about it. Linux is better at implementing closed
standards than Apple at implementing open ones ;-), so I use a netatalk
server to serve printing to Macs.

> Printcap entry is below, but LaserWiter TCP/IP printing does not work no
> matter which queue name I enter in Desktop Printer Utlity (Phaser740L,
> lp1, tek_phaser740_queue). tek_phaser740_host is actually IP address of
> printer iteself. Printer works OK with AppleTalk, but I would like to use
> Linux print server for entire network.

Stop your lpd daemon from printing (but keep spooling active), then have
a look at the two files created in the spool for the print job. IIRC,
there was a problem with the file names in the control file.

I ended up looking through the relevant RFCs, since lpd has close to no
logging whatsoever, so it's hard to get at an error message.

Anyway, should you go for netatalk, I had to solve an access rights
problem to make netatalk spool to lpd. I ended up using TCP to get the
jobs to lpd, instead of netatalk simply writing them into the spool.

HTH

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |