Re: yaboot.conf for kernel on partition other than root

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 06:28:15PM -0600, Jason E. Stewart wrote:
> Hey,
>
> So after having gotten reiserfs working, I want to move my root
> partition over to reiserfs. Apparently yaboot can't yet handle loading
> kernels off reiserfs so I need to have my kernels on a separate ext2
> partition.

yes, no kernels on HFS.  in this case you can use an ext2 /boot
partition.

> What would the .conf look like for this? I read the man pages but
> wasn't quite sure, and I don't want to fsck this one up...

man pages are much better now in the yaboot package which should be in
sid by now. (thanks drow!)

> This is on a pismo laptop with the internal ide drive (/dev/hda).
>
> /dev/hda13 is my new reiserfs partition that I want to make root.
> /dev/hda11 is is the old ext2 partition that has my kernels.
> The image is /boot/vmlinux

i assume /dev/hda11 is mounted on /boot ?

> is this correct?
>
> image=/boot/vmlinux
> 	label=Linux-reiser
>         append="video=aty128fb:crt:1"
>         partition=11
>         root=/dev/hda13
> 	read-only

yes this should work.  you can also move the partition=11 to the
global section if you want, then it will apply to all image sections.

> Thanks (Ethan ;-)

no problem.  someone should look at adding reiserfs (and xfs) support
to yaboot, it shouldn't be too difficult... perhaps the grub code
could be used at least in part.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/