Weird suck / pppd behaviour

As of 48 hours ago my Mac 6500 has been behaving oddly.  I've been running it
fine for months, but all of a sudden pppd keeps getting SIGHUP.  After trying,
different computers, cables, modems I've narrowed it down to suck.  ip-up
executes this:

 suck news.demon.co.uk -A -hl localhost -c -dd /var/lib/news/suck -dm /var/lib/news/suck/MSGS -dt /var/lib/news/suck -M -bp

A few seconds later after suck has found how many articles it needs to
download, but before it has downloaded any of them, pppd gets SIGHUP.

Anyone seen anything like this before?  Anyone know how to fix it?  I'm trying
to avoid having to delete my entire active file.

Cheers...

--

Paul Talacko
http://www.seditiousdiaries.com