Re: Call for info: slave drives bootable from OpenFirmware (OldWorld)

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 11:16:36PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:

> I can boot my Apple 9500-120 from Open Firmware (v1.05), but i have to use a
> terminal to do it. When I change the input and output devices, it doesn't
> use them for OF, it still talks only to the serial terminal.

probably the video drivers are too broken.

> I use the OF boot command
>
> boot scsi/sd@6:0
>
> and that's all I need to do for it to boot. The kernel is actually on
> partition 7, but putting anything other than :0 results in a DEFAULT CATCH!.

yes, partition 0 is the raw disk, when told to boot it, OF will boot
from the first partition marked bootable. quik marks the root
partition bootable as that is where the first stage bootblock is installed.

> My quik.conf contains
> root=/dev/sdb7
> partition=7
> image=/boot/vmlinux-2.2.19
>
> I did confirm that using boot: /vmlinux from the Quik second-stage loader
> results in an unknown image format error, while using boot:
> /boot/vmlinux-2.2.19 works. With the quik.conf above, if I just press return
> at the boot: prompt, it works too.

yup thats what i thought.  i wonder why symlinks for in some cases but
not others...  could it be the 2.2 vs 2.0 ext2 formats?  i somewhat
doubt it since the changes shouldn't affect things like symlinks...

> Here's the device tree for my 9500:

yes ive seen this before.  does ofpath work on this?  correctly?

> For the PowerBase 180 (OF v2.0), I can boot off the same drive as the 9500.
> I have another scsi disk connected to the PowerBase, though, but that works
> out because it has an IDE internal; so the Linux device alias is still sdb.
> The input-device and output-device settings work, unlike the 9500, and I
> have them set to kbd and /bandit/ATY,mach64_3D_pcc.
>
> In order to boot from OF, I type boot scsi/sd@6:7
> Then in the Quik second-stage loader, /boot/vmlinux-2.2.19.

yes, some machines properly allow booting specific partitions,
partition 0 should still work as a `first bootable partition'.

> Here's the device tree and other info for the PowerBase:

i think ofpath in ybin 1.1 should support this, can you check?

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/