Re: mol comments

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
> > I was hoping you would have made the module-source hooking into
> > kernel-package to make building it semi-automatic. I haven't figured out
> > yet just how to do it myself, but if not anything else you could maybe
> > simply throw it into the TODO :-)
>
> Please don't depend on kernel-package though. It can easily pick up the
> correct tree for the running kernel if it's 2.4.x (and even current 2.2.x?)
> using /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build .

I am not sure I understand you correctly (or you me?).

What I mean is set up the mol-modules-source package similar to
alsa-source and device3dfx-source (which is a small package that I have
never compiled but might be useful as reference for making it work with
kernel-package.

At least sheep_net requires kernel-source (or kernel-headers) to build,
not only a running kernel.

Maybe putting sheep_net in a package for itself (that would make it
available for other architectures as well) and include the source and a
compile-script in mol-modules for the rest (which I believe I succeeded
compiling without kernel-headers available).

The current situation is bad: mol-modules-source creates a kernel-modules
.deb of the _same_ version as the official .deb. The naming scheme of
kernel-package (and kernellab) avoids that in most situations.

 - Jonas

--
Jonas Smedegaard   <jonas@jones.dk>   http://www.jones.dk/~jonas/
IT-guide dr. Jones    <dr@jones.dk>   http://dr.jones.dk/    +45 40843136