Re: floppy boot on a 7200/90

> Hello,
>
> I've just installed the last debian distrib on a 7200/90. It includes
> the 2.2.19 kernel and a quik.conf.
> I have no macos partition (so no bootX) and I didn't managed to get the
> nvram tuned to boot debian directly after many tries and nvram reinit.
>
> I've found a floppy on the bootX archive (version 1.2.2), which contains
> a bootable hfs file system with the 2.2.15 kernel. This floppy finds
> itself the bootable partition on my hdd. It looks like a good solution.
>
> So my question is, how can I make a bootable hfs floppy (with 2.2.19
> kernel on it) from my debian 7200/90 or an NT PC or a solris station ?
>
> Thank you for your answers and tips,
> Landry.

I'm no expert, but I can pass on what worked with my 9500.

Have you tried booting into Open Firmware yet? You will probably need
another computer, with its serial port connected to the Mac's serial (modem)
port. Open Firmware 1.05 boots up by default, with the input and out devices
set to the serial port. On the other computer, you can use ZTerm to see what
you would normally see on the 7200's screen from Open Firmware.

Set the two computers up, start ZTerm, then boot the 7200 and hold the keys
Command (cloverleaf), Option, O, and F simultaneously until a few seconds
after the chime.

You should see a short message and Open Firmware prompt

O >

At the prompt, you can type a couple of commands to get some information
about your system. One is devalias, which lists the aliases for devices OF
sees. Another command is printenv, which shows the environment variables and
their defaults.

Since you already have your system installed, and assuming you ran quik from
the dbootstrap menu, you should have some files first.b, second.b, and
vmlinux-2.2.19 in your /boot directory. The .b files are your bootloaders,
and Open Firmware will hopefully be able to load them if you type something
like

boot scsi/sd@0,/boot/vmlinux-2.2.19

sd@0 is because I'm guessing we're talking about your internal hard drive at
scsi address 0. After the comma is the path to the kernel.

The default quik.conf lists the kernel path as /vmlinuz, which didn't work
for me. There is a /vmlinux link to the kernel within the boot directory,
but my Open Firmware version didn't seem to be able to follow the link. Once
you get back into Linux, after you've found the right boot command, you can
edit quik.conf.

You can also use Open Firmware to set the environment variables such as
boot-command and boot-device, or you can do it with nvsetenv within Linux.
Hopefully if you get them set right, it will boot without having to stop in
Open Firmware.

There is quite a bit of ino about OF at

www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html