dhclient

Hi there,

I just connected my Pismo to my new employer's network. They have DHCP so I
just started dhclient. The program told me that CONFIG_PACKET and
CONFIG_FILTER is not set. It *is* set though. Then I had a closer look at it and saw
that there is dhclient-2.0.x and dhclient-2.2.x. The dhclient scripts started
dhclient-2.2.x as my machine is running a 2.4 benh kernel. This was the one
that complained about the kernel config.

I started dhclient-2.0.x manually. It sent out DHCPREQUESTs and
DHCPDISCOVERs but there was no response. Some co-worker told me that I must not have any
IP in my config files. So I set up /etc/network/interfaces for DHCP and
restarted the network. Surprisingly I got an IP address and a route, but no DNS -
and it was a completely different network than all my co-workes had.

I rebooted and the network config script would take real long. When I looked
at ifconfig, I had no IP. I was not able to make it work again ever since.
It's just not taking any IP. Co-workers told me that they have a strange setup
but my parallel-installed MacOS properly takes IP, route and DNS without
bitching around. So do all Windoze machines here.

I'm annoyed. Has anybody experience with this?

Phil

--
     Philipp von Weitershausen
[ *pronounce: "fun Viters-houzen" ]