Re: Change Default mode for startup

on 4/15/01 8:45 PM, Michel Dänzer at michdaen@iiic.ethz.ch wrote:

> michael sean edwards wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone tell me how to tell Linux to boot without starting X Windows by
>> default. I am using BootX on 9500 Poermac. I wasn't defautlting to X Windows
>> at first but now it is and I have some problems to iron out with X. It
>> basically cripples me at the moment.
>
> You do know how to switch to a console don't you? :)
>
> Remove xdm or whatever display manager you have installed to get rid of the X
> login at boot.

Well yeah, barely heh heh. It's a little bit the "chicken and egg" problem
because by the time I get into Linux I am already screwed (Hanging) and so
have a hard time editing any config files..Thats why I was hoping that there
might be something that I could put into the BootX "kernel arg" before
leaving the safety of Mac OS. I will work on this. Turning off the video
driver seems to let me function in a very halting fashion.
I have ordered the cds and am waiting for them to arrive. Is there anything
on them that will make it a little easier to solve this problem or am I
dreaming.
Its not just an OS, its a way of life...:^)