Re: Debian on Firewire iBook (Was Re: ibook keyboard not correct under X)

On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 06:10:27AM -0500, Brian Dunnette wrote:
> Okay, so I've got the iBook booting from the CD, and I get the yaboot
> prompt... but after I type in all the video stuff, I get several messages
> saying "Wrong partition 1 signature", then a "booting

the `wrong signature' thing is completely normal and harmless when
booting from CDs.

> kernel" screen... and then it just hangs.  Is there something wrong with
> the way I've partitioned my disk?  I've got the first partition set as
> ~5.5 gigs, Unallocated (for Debian) and the second as ~4 gigs, HFS (for
> Mac OS).  I also tried using the "Preferred LinuxPPC" partitioning scheme,
> with the same results.

at this stage disk partitioning can't have any effect.  unless the
partition table was seriously corrupted it can't cause a hang like
that.

leaving the empty space at the start of the disk is the correct way to
do things, once your booted you fill that space with the 800K
Apple_Bootstrap and linux partitions.

i suspect its something to do with the video arguments you are giving
it.  try:

video=ofonly for instead of the video stuff you were using.  also did
you try just booting without any video argument? potato r2 CD should
boot fine on ibooks without anything unusal.

the mkofboot instructions in your message were very old, for potato
r0, if you have r0 CDs i would recommend getting r2, or waiting a few
days for r3.  things are better supported out of the box on these
revisions.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/