Re: gcc version for kernel compiles

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > Peter Cordes wrote:
> > >  What version of gcc should I use to compile the kernel (from the BK
> > > tree). Are there any known problems with 2.95.3?  I'm compiling for an
> > > SMP machine. (so reordering locking-related things is a bigger problem
> > > than on UP.)
> >
> > AFAIK that should only yet be a problem with gcc-3.0 (which in turn is
> > needed for ReiserFS yet).
>
> And AFAIK ReiserF doesn't work on big endian systems like PPC anyway (yet).

It doesn't?

michdaen@pismo> uname -a
Linux pismo 2.4.3 #15 Tue Apr 3 03:02:14 CEST 2001 ppc unknown
michdaen@pismo> cat /proc/mounts
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part8 / reiserfs rw 0 0
none /dev devfs rw 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
/dev/hda10 /boot ext2 ro 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
none /dev/shm shm rw 0 0

:)

This is with Jeff Mahoney's patches.

I do a lot of building and crash the box often (Reiser comes in very handy
there, imagine e2fsck on my 17 gig root partition...) when hacking on X & DRI
and it hasn't eaten my so-called important data yet.

PS: I know I'm crazy. But it's fun. ;)