Which display cards work in a 9500?

I have a PowerMac 9500 with an XLR8 400 MHz G3 and i want to replace an
ix3D display card with something that at least LINUX supports (preferrably
also Open Firmware).  Which ones are known to work?  Do they have to have
a Mac ROMs or do someone with PC BIOS chips work as well?  For example,
would any old ATI Mach64 work, or does it have to be a specific model or
have specific ROMs?  What about the ATI Rage 128 or other widely available
boards?

Because of my vision, i need to be able to change screen resolution without
going into MacOS, so suggestions, please!

				-- Tovar