Re: Booting to floppy

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 12:40:07AM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Michael Schmitz <schmitz@opal.biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de> writes:
>
> > The 'rescue floppy' doesn't even work as this on a whole other bunch of
> > architectures I bet. Can you boot from this floppy on sparc?
>
> Sure.
>
> Only on architecture, PowerPC, is in bad enough shape to require one
> image for actual booting (when possible at all) and other one to
> supply the kernel to dbootstrap.

i don't think it even needs to be that way either.  you can do one of
two things:

make the rescue disk use msdos filesystem instead of ext2, and put a
.coff format kernel on it.  this would be bootable with the
OpenFirmware command:

boot fd:,linux

or something similar (the device name may vary)

the disadvantage to this is you must enter OF somehow, this usually
requires a serial terminal.

the other option is make the rescue image use hfs filesystem, there is
nothing about miboot that requires a layout any different then the
regular rescue image has (well if there is it could be fixed except
for needing macos to compile miboot...).  miboot would be analogous to
syslinux in this case.  dbootstrap would have to be tought how to
mount hfs rescue images in addition to msdos and ext2, but that
shoudn't be that difficult.

i don't think its possible to make a generic rescue image that will
boot all the various powerpcs, but isn't there several different
versions of it anyway for the different powerpc sub-archs?

> Wouldn't it be easier to just get the kernel directly from one of the
> 'linux' files lying around, in the case that the user is installing by
> a method other than floppies?  This might be an easy, general fix we
> can do for all arches.

if all thats being grabbed from rescue.bin that makes sense.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/