Re: Help for installation of 2.2r2

Hi, I am using Debian 2.2 on a PowerCenter.

I don't know anything about installing Debian on iMacs, but...

On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 12:26:50AM +0200, Riccardo Gusso wrote:
> First of all, I am new here and so I say hello to everybody.
> Then the question(s): in the past I installed various releases of YellowDog
> Champion Server and Suse Linux for PowerPc, and succeeded  with not so much
> difficulties in solving the  problems I found during the installation
> process and the setup of the system. Now I'm trying and re-trying to
> install Debian 2.2r2 on my iMac rev.B, but I can't get it to work.
> I have to notice that a lot  of things were simpler with other
> distributions, and that the installer seems to me not very "Mac-aware"; for
> example I can't found my monitor or video device or mouse among the ones the
> installer suggest me, and there is no simple tool to configure X. The
> installation guide has the same problems of the installer, and can't help
> me. So it seems as if Debian is a 'only for expert' distro.
> But I really would like to install it in my iMac, and so I'm here to ask you
> some questions:
> 1) Is it better that I wait for a 'more Mac-aware' release?
> 2) At the first reboot of the iMac, after I have installed only the base
> system, and so I've done nothing particular,  I get some 'unresolved
> symbols' message warning from depmode: is it normal?
> 3) I don't understand which is the best way to install packages: the guide
> suggests not to use dselect for the first installation, but the simpler
> tasksel. But for example if I select phyton packages from the list I always
> get an error message related to dependencies problems. Morover the guide
> says that some standard packages are not installed by default, and to avoid
> this to run tasksel -s without selecting any packages. If so, what is the
> use of tasksel?

tasksel? Never heard of it. dselect will warn you of missing packages,
but will automagically download them from an ftp server (provided that
you are already connected to one!) if you are missing them.

A list of ftp servers is stored in /etc/apt/apt.sources.list, and you
can edit the file to add more.

I wish I could help you more with your installation, but you should also
search the email archives.