XFree86 4.0.2 ATI module/driver

Hello all!
	I have a StarMax 5500/200 running potato and I'm attempting to
get XFree86 4.0.2 to work.  Actually, I'd be fine with 3.3.6 too,
however, the debian install didn't set me up a working solution.
anXious claimed I needed the Mach64 server, which makes sense, given
the Starmax's ATI Rage Pro II card, however, that server was not
installed, leaving me with XF86FBDev.  I don't know a whole lot about
the details of running X on a PPC so I may be missing something
fundamental.

	After compiling and installing X 4.0.2, startx would fail due
to the missing ati driver/module.  I looked around for this module and
found it hadn't been included as part of the make World command issued
in the X src directory.  Unfortunately, documentation on compiling
XFree86 from source is minimal.  I fudged around with the source tree
and used imake to generate the makefile for the ati module.  However,
after installing the module, I now receive the following (edited for
relevancy):

(II) Module scanpci: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
(II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libscanpci.a
(--) PCI: (0:17:0) ATI Mach64 GT rev 154, Mem @ 0x81000000/24,
0xfffff000/12, I/O @ 0x2000/8

(II) ATI: ATI driver (version 6.2.3) for chipsets: ati
(II) R128: Driver for ATI Rage 128 chipsets: ATI Rage 128 RE (PCI),
	ATI Rage 128 RF (AGP), ATI Rage 128 RG (AGP), ATI Rage 128 RK (PCI),
	ATI Rage 128 RL (AGP), ATI Rage 128 Pro PF (AGP),
	ATI Rage 128 Mobility LE (PCI), ATI Rage 128 Mobility LF (AGP),
	ATI Rage 128 Mobility MF (AGP), ATI Rage 128 Mobility ML (AGP)
(II) RADEON: Driver for ATI Radeon chipsets: ATI Radeon QD (AGP),
	ATI Radeon QE (AGP), ATI Radeon QF (AGP), ATI Radeon QG (AGP)
(WW) ATI:  PCI/AGP Mach64 in slot 0:17:0 could not be detected!
(EE) No devices detected.

	This looks bad!  The scan pci module found the proper card,
however, when it came time to load the server, the card could not be
found!  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have very little
idea of what's going on here that would prevent X from finding the
card.

Thanks,

Michael N. Hallquist