Trying to install potato (R2) on New world G4

Hello

I am trying to install debian on my new powermac G4. It is a 533MHz with the
Geforce2 MX video card.

The problem is for whatever reason, my debian cd will not boot on this
machine. I thought first that I had received a faulty cd, so I used the
pseudo kit and made my own official cd from my pc. My cd would not boot
either.

Debian is what I want ultimately on the machine, but just launching linux on
this machine has proved problematic. I tried YellowDog. It would boot up
into the installation program, but when I specified install from cd, the
machine stops with the initializing cdrom dialog on the screen. If I choose
install from hard drive the installation aborts complaining that it can't
find a shared library - I can't remember exactly which one.

I have seen various postings around the net saying that linux does not
support 2001 G4s yet. How do I identify whether my G4 is one of these?

Is there a way that I can create some kind of custom linux installation cd
from a pc or my mac or a combination of the two? I have no floppy drive or
network, but I have plenty of hard disk space.

Thanks in advance.