Re: Quicktime movies

On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 02:56:25PM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 07:23:58PM +0100, Damien GUIHAL wrote:
> > I'd like to know if there is a video player available on debian PPC which
> > would be able to play .mov (Apple Quicktime) files.
>
> if they are sorenson like most are then forget it.
>
> apple and sorenson just play a little game of pointing fingers at each
> other.
>
> sorenson: we can't even make a proprietary binary of our codec for
> anything but apple because we have an anti-competitive contract with
> apple.
>
> apple: we can't provide even a proprietary binary of the sorenson
> codec because we don't own it, sorenson does.

And meanwhile the Free Software community gets to enjoy the wonders of DAP.

(If you don't know how to expand the acronym, just move on.  Seriously.)

--
G. Branden Robinson             |   Optimists believe we live in the best of
Debian GNU/Linux                |   all possible worlds.  Pessimists are