Re: apt-get hates me

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 06:16:59PM +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> Bastien Nocera wrote:

> > > Run apt-get with the -u option, and it will tell you what it is upgrading.
> >
> > The following packages will be upgraded
> >   apt libxaw-dev libxaw6 libxaw7 xbase-clients xfonts-100dpi
> > xfonts-75dpi
> >   xfonts-base xfonts-scalable xfree86-common xlib6g xlib6g-dev
> > xlibmesa-dev
> >   xlibmesa3 xlibs xlibs-dev xnest xserver-common xterm xutils
> >
> > And it wants to uninstall every package compiled aganst the old version
> > of XFree86 (old being 4.0.2).
> >
> > /me files a critical bug against xfree
>
> Hmm, seems like apt-get upgrade doesn't break. God knows why.

 Well, God's not the only one that's got this figured out, I think :)
apt-get(8)'s section about upgrade:
	      Packages  currently  installed  with  new  versions
              available are retrieved and upgraded; under no cir-
              cumstances   are   currently   installed   packages
              removed,   or   packages   not   already  installed
              retrieved and installed. New versions of  currently
              installed  packages that cannot be upgraded without
              changing the install status of another package will
              be left at their current version.

 upgrade is not aggressive.  dist-upgrade is aggressive, and will happily
uninstall stuff to meet dependencies.  (I don't think it will uninstall
"required" packages, so it does try not to destroy your system :)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y