Re: newbie trying to install debian linux on oldworld mac

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 10:27:07AM -0600, John Wood wrote:

> I am new at the idea of linux, and I have had little to no expirence in the
> installation of linux, but I have had tons of expirence in the Mac OS. I am
> trying to install linux on my 7200 to make it into a web server. I ordered
> the debian 2.2r2 CDs from cheapbytes. My question is has anyone written
> detailed instructions on how to get linux to boot and install on an oldworld
> mac? I tried the CD in my newworld iMac, and it booted off the CD just fine,
> but I didn't install it because I use it for work.

I run linux just fine on a 7300.  I originally installed linuxppc 1999
(which I wouldn't recommend) a long while back, and use bootX, which was
the only option at the time.  bootX is pretty nice.  I guess there's a new
bootloader called quik or something.

It you decide to use bootX, the process isn't too hard, as long as your CD
can boot properly, which it should be able to do, although I haven't tried
booting the debian cd.  The trickiest bit is the partitioning, since you
really don't want to trash your existing data.  Setting up bootX itself is
simple, since it's just a MacOS control panel, which installs in the MacOS
manner.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/