Re: What's wrong with rsync'ing ftp ?

On   9 Mar, this message from Andrei Verovski echoed through cyberspace:
> I am using the following statement to sync ftp directories:
>
> rsync -av ftp.funet.fi:/pub/Linux/mirror/ /home/mirror/
>

> However, it does not work with ANY ftp server. The error message is
> Connection refused. Unexpected EOF in read-timeout.

rsync is not a mirroring utility that uses other protocols (like http or
ftp). Rather, it is an application that uses its own protocol.

To mirror an FTP server, there are other good toools (search on
freshmeat). You need a frontend that uses the ftp protocol to retrieve
remote files and directories.

rsync is good for mirroring between machines that you have shell access
to (in can use remote shell (rsh) or secure shell (ssh) to connect to
the remote machine), or when the admin of the server has set up
annonymous rsync with an rsync server (like penguinppc.org has done for
linux-ppc kernels).

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |