Re: ATA booting problems & solutions

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 10:50:01AM -0800, Benjamin Kite wrote:
> 	1. Is it so odd for the only disk in an oldworld macintosh to come
> 	   up as /dev/hdb? Is it such a bad thing that it's probably making
> 	   things confused at boot-time?

 I think that's ok.  The linux IDE drivers map hda to the master on the
first IDE controller, and hdb to the slave on the first IDE controller, hdc
... master ... second....  Anyway, it's not like SCSI, where you always have
sda.  What you're seeing simply means that your drive is configured to be
the slave device on the first IDE controller.  You don't need to change
this, it won't run any faster by being the master or anything.

 I don't have anything to say about the rest of your questions, since I'm
still getting the hang of ppc linux, and I'm still using BootX.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y