Re: debian-powerpc: Apple Titanium notebooks ?

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 01:38:19PM +1100, Brendan J Simon wrote:
> Does anyone know if Debian Linux will run on the new Apple Titanium
> notebooks.  I assume it's just a new kernel I need with the appropriate
> drivers.  Has anyone got a new Ti machine running Debian Linux ?

I just got Debian running today (on the Ti I got yesterday).

steps:
1. get the binary-powerpc-1 CD
2. get into Open Firmware (option-command-o-f)
3. boot the cd with 'boot cd:\\yaboot' (holding 'c' during powerup
   doesn't seem to work)
4. use 'linux video=ofonly' at the boot: prompt
5. when you get to the drive partitioning stage, follow the instructions
   from http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/doc/mac-fdisk-basics.txt
6. finish up the rest of the install
7. before you reboot, edit yaboot.conf
   - mount /dev/hda3 /mnt (hda3 is my root partition)
   - ae /mnt/etc/yaboot.conf
   - edit the boot= line to point to your bootstrap partition
     (/dev/hda2 in my case)
   - comment out the 'nonvram' line
8. mkofboot -v -C /mnt/etc/yaboot.conf
9. reboot into Debian

That's where I'm at. No X, no sound, but the ethernet works. I'm going
to upgrade to unstable now.

-grant

--
Grant Hollingworth / grant@antiflux.org / http://okcomputer.antiflux.org