Re: Booting to floppy

On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 12:00:33PM -0800, Andrew Sharp wrote:

> Somebody else pointed out the obvious, which is that I've not done a
> floppy-only install for many years, so it is using the images/files
> off the cdrom, so technically I am using those floppies.

that is what i meant, you need rescue.bin either as a file on NFS or
CD or partition.  or you need it in floppy form.

> Yeah, that's what I said/meant.  The boot-floppy-hfs.img floppy
> doesn't work the same way as the rescue floppy does for other
> architectures. My point is that for powerpc, the "rescue" function
> of the floppy with the word "rescue" in it's image file name is
> somewhat impotent.  This can be somewhat confusing if you're not a
> graduate of the powerpc debian booting/installing gauntlet.  Most
> especially because of the way the generic debian install docs refer
> to the rescue floppy for everything.

unfortuantly this is unlikely to change unless someone writes a better
oldworld bootloader.  or makes quik work on floppies.  (which would
still be a pain since you have to get into OF to boot a OF based
floppy, and getting into OF on some oldworlds is less then convenient)

> Wha?  It takes the same amount of time to build a cross gcc as a
> native on my machine, namely about 30 minutes.  Maybe you're
> thinking of other things that might be required, like libraries and
> such.  That might take a while.  ~:^)

yes i mean all the requisite work to putting together a cross
compiler.

> Why does this sound way too easy?  I'm gonna have to check that
> out.  The other thing is that theoretically, we should be able to
> get the hardware to tell us that a floppy has been inserted.
> Possibly only on mac hardware, but hey.  Or we could just poll the
> drive or something.  Hmmm, lots of crazy ideas...

i still would like to know what caused this to break in 2.2.18...

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/