Re: Sustaining RedHat [was: BootX and the Stuffit Fiasco.]

Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 11:05:38AM +0100, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> >
> > getting a free (as in speech) StuffIt packager for Debian are practically
> > nil as you pointed out rather convincingly.
>
> it will happen either when:
>
> 1) hell freezes over.
> 2) redhat (or someone) buys aladdin and GPLs all thier code.

How is RedHat going to buy any company if the trends keep going the way they
are?  Redhat always ends up having more things "wrong" with it, maybe because it
will help convince people to buy support from them...

The community is always kicking them in the leg, how are they going to make a
profit with bad publicity all of the time?  Though, I agree that some of their
decisions (a "value-added" gcc, just to have a newer version...) have been bad,
I wonder if they will be around in a few years.  If so, we'll be at "Linux 15"
or so...

How will buying aladdin help redhat anyway?

Mike