Re: Debian on RS/6000 B50

tom_gall@vnet.ibm.com wrote:
> In the case of 170 German I'd recommend you stick with SuSE. Debian
> does not have the fixed glibc and without that you're dead in
> the water.

Hi Tom,

I knew that as you said me before.  But, Debian can be installed over
another distribution :-)  I'm hoping so

> The problem that you're running into now is that you need to partition
> your disk. It has an AIX disklabel on it, so you need to create a new
> disklabel on it.
>
> Start up the SuSE YAST installer, Alt-F2 over (or was it F4 ... one
> of those 8-) to the command line when you get up to the partition
> step and invoke fdisk by hand onto the volume in question.

I'll try it. But, I'm using a console (linux terminal with C-kermit
in a null-modem).  Alt+F? keys doesn't work (I was looking for a
shell console or a syslog console to know about the error)

But it's a good point.

> You'll be imformed that the disklabel needs to be created, create
> it, partition the disk as you normally would... save and reboot.
> Now go into the installer and have at it... should just work.

Do it need a particular partition like Apple's PowerPC?
(I mean an small partition to store the boot images)

> A co-worker and I have thought about pitching to hopefully improve
> the situation for doing debian installs on IBM hardware. It's just
> an idea on the drawing board at the moment... but we certainly
> have an interest to pitch in as we can.

Thanks you.

--
German Poo Caaman~o