Re: hosed nvram on OldWorld Mac

Well, I tried this fix on my system, and it seemed to have partial success.  The boot command stuff definitely didn't work, it just says that "wboot - bad word" or something to that affect.  On my system, the video is readable, but not great.  But I'll take whatever improvements I can get.

A few more bits of knowledge gained:

the boot-device spec scsi/sd@0:0 and scsi-int/sd@0:0 turn out to differ on my machine by virtue of the fact that scsi-int refers to the internal, on board scsi connector marked "fast."  scsi refers to the connector right next to it marked "normal."  on my 7200, there is no fast connector and scsi seems to work for the single internal connector.

my conclusion about the kernel and the xfer rates having something to do with the badblock(s) problem now appears to be bogus.  More likely it is a cable, termination, or disk drive problem.  the investigation continues on that.