Re: Newbie Install Question on Umax S900 (and now 7200! and 7300?)

I worked on the S900 for a couple hours more today. Ditched the old hard drive that was spewing SCSI errors and reinstalled OS9/BootX from scratch on the "new" drive. On reinstalling debian I noticed that there was an optional item to configure the PCMCIA interface that I hadn't noticed previously. On this screen were checkboxes for PCMCIA, serial, and CD-ROM. PCMCIA was checked by default (strange) and CD-ROM was unchecked (even stranger). I unchecked PCMCIA and checked CD-ROM.

No go.

The hated "Init ID 1 respawning too fast" are still alive and well.

My complete configuration:
Umax S900 (8500 clone)
850 mb Quantum HDD
stock 2x Apple CD pulled from older PowerMac
48 mb of RAM
3dfx Voodoo3 2000 PCI video
180 mhz 604e

I have used several kernels including the kernel included with the LinuxPPC 2000 cd I have successfully used in the past with this machine, the 2.2.18 and 2.2.19 kernels, even 2.4.0.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom here?

Ted Swinyar, swinte@wwc.edu
http://www.randomworks.com/

>>> Bruce McIntyre <brucemac@bigfoot.com> - 1/29/01 5:21 PM >>>
Are you still getting the SCSI errors on startup, or was that a
one-off result of hard booting because of the init respawning? I have
been also getting the init id 1 respawning too fast on my 7300. I'm
thinking that the  disk 'repair' chucks important stuff into
lost+found, although you should really deinstall the pmcica stuff on
a 7200...
See the 'SCSI woe' messages on this list for more details on my errors.
I also attempted 2.2.17 and .18.