Re: Dvorak keymap

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Bruce McIntyre wrote:

> Are you talking about X when you mention "Keyboard sends Linux
> keycodes" or is that some kernel argument?

You can set this option by doing:
  echo 1 >/proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes

or by using the kernel argument "keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1".
Your kernel must contain the new input layer (2.4, 2.2.18 or higher).

If you switch to this option, you should then run kbdconfig to choose an
x86 keymap as your default. Otherwise you may be unable to type after your
next reboot.

> Do you think it is best to wait for 2.6 rather than submit the driver
> to debian now (which I don't know how to do!)

Eventually everyone should be using the new input layer, but for now it
would be very nice to have Dvorak and maybe some more international
keymaps in the mac directory. LinuxPPC includes many mac keymaps that
aren't in Debian. Perhaps we should use those, if there are no licensing
issues.

Someone should contact the console-data package maintainer.

> It will be interesting to see if the new input layer will allow the
> user to reassign the caps lock key to meta or control...

I have actually done this in my own keymap (caps lock -> control). It
works just fine.