Problem using new kernel

I have an AGP G4 Powermac. I successfully installed Debian with
the release 2.2r2 CD (burned the image meself :> ), and it works
fine; I have gpm working with the trackball at /dev/input/mice,
and everything is cool. Kernel version seems to be 2.2.18pre21.

I needed to rebuild the kernel, though, so I downloaded the
2.2.18 full sources, and configured and built the new kernel. I
left out SCSI and the Mac serial, ADB, and floppy stuff, since I
don't have the hardware; I did remember to turn on USB, the USB
device filesystem, the HID support, and the keyboard and mouse
support on that screen. It all builds, it all installs, yaboot
finds it, the boot messages say it's finding my keyboard and
trackball, but I CAN'T TYPE. None of the keys do anything. I
can't log in, I can't switch terminals, nothing. Reboot it under
2.2.18pre21, everything works normally again. What is going on??

I think, from a previous attempt with graphical login, that the
trackball does work; I just can't type. I have GOT to be missing
something basic and obvious, somehow, but I can't imagine what.
Anybody help before I hurt the wall with my head? :)

Melissa Reid