Re: More Mouse Problems

Chris Bryan wrote:

> on 12/28/00 5:05 PM, Adam C Powell IV at hazelsct@mit.edu wrote:
>
> > Chris Bryan wrote:
> >
> >> I'm having similar problems as our other mouse-troubled friend, on a g4 400.
> >> A couple questions:
> >>
> >> -What protocol should I use in XF86Config for the usb mouse?
> >> -Is /dev/usbmouse the correct setting? (porbably a dumb quesiton, just
> >> making sure ;)
> >> -Could the problem be the fact that the mouse is on the keyboard hub?
> >
> > The big question here is: which kernel are you using?  If 2.2.18pre21 (the
> > latest in stable), then see:
> > http://home.munich.netsurf.de/Franz.Sirl/inputppc.html
>
> I am using 2.2.17

I'm sorry, I don't know about usb in 2.2.17. :-(  Maybe someone else?

> > That page will help you configure the device files, gpm and X to work with the
> > new input layer, which blends all of the attached mice into a single device.
>
> This page is about making serious adjustments to the kernel, something I am
> more than a little nervous about doing just yet. :\  There must be an easier
> way to do this, right?

Yes, get the kernel-image-2.2.18pre21 package (and configure yaboot/etc. to boot
it).  Since this is the "way of the future" (because it mixes the mice into one
device, and mice and keyboards of all kinds have a uniform protocol) and isn't
*that* hard to do once you've got the kernel, I'd say it's worth a try; I think
this is why Dan put it in stable.

This kernel also supports things like dhcpcd and ipmasq out-of-box, which previous
Debian kernel-images didn't.

Note that the button 2 and 3 emulation is quite different from the way it used to
be, and involves keycodes from input.h, not the usual adb keycodes.

> > ctrl-alt-F1 gets you to the 1st virtual console (ctrl-alt-F2 to the second,
> > etc.).
>
> Thanks, that trick was very helpful! :)

No problem. :-)

-Adam P.