Re: iBook install and ofboot.b

On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 09:05:51PM -0500, Pepijn Bruienne wrote:
> Drats. Replied just to Josh, not the list...
>
> I had the same problem when first installing. For some reason the filesystem
> you create with the installer gets mounted under /target, so what i did was
> mv the current /etc, /usr and /boot to something else (i just appended .old
> to them) and then slinked the ones in /target to /etc, /usr and /boot. Then
> edit the /etc/yaboot.conf file and run mkofboot -v -b
> <your_bootstrap_partition>. That did it for me. Hope it works for you.

eh?  the target root partition is mounted on /target and base2_2.tgz,
the kernel and modules are extracted there, once you boot /target
becomes / because its mounted as the root filesystem.

as for yaboot, you certainly don't need to go mucking around the
ramdisk root filesystem to install it, the old way involved using
-m /target/etc/ofboot.b or
-m /target/usr/share/doc/yaboot/examples/ofboot.b.

fortunatly that horrible mess has been fixed and the documentation has
been updated to reflect that.  the new command is something like this:

mkofboot -b /dev/hda2 -m /usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot --root /dev/hda3 --partition 3

this will work on current boot floppies.  the ofboot is now
autogenerating you don't have to fsck with it anymore.   that command
will make your system bootable, you will still have to make a few
changes to your /etc/yaboot.conf (after you boot from the hard disk
into the installed base system) and rerun ybin.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/