Re: new input layer

Quoting Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@mit.edu>:

> Bastien Nocera wrote:
>
> > Sergio Brandano wrote:
> > >
> > > Ah. That  explains why the uparrow disappears every time I enable
> > > mouse_button_emulation. By playing with it, I discovered that 103 is
> actually
> > > the uparrow, which is also the mouse button 2. The funny thing is
> that,
> > > at the same time, "showkey" maps F11 to 103.
> >
> > Because your keyboard is using ADB keycodes and your mouse emulation
> is
> > expecting _Linux_ keycodes.
> >
> > Has any of you read this page about the PPC Input layer ?!
> > http://home.munich.netsurf.de/Franz.Sirl/inputppc.html
>
> Yes, went through the whole thing and still didn't understand this.  For
> example,
> it says, "For backwards compatibility, the deprecated adb_buttons=
> kernel argument
> still uses ADB keycodes" but this is clearly failing for everyone.
>
> I had thought there were now two mappings: ADB (for compatibility, e.g.
> in
> .Xmodmap) and "Linux", which is why we use "IMPS/2" as the X mouse
> mapping...

Why are you messing up keyboards and mice, hum ?
The mouse emulation code in the keyboard driver has absolutely nothing to do
with the fact that all the mice protocols are now defaulting to PS/2.

> So I went to an i386 box with PS/2 keyboard, did xmodmap -pke, and the
> resulting
> mapping of course had nothing to do with the mouse button emulation
> codes.  The
> PS/2 mouse is the "Linux" standard, but has nothing to do with the
> keyboard.  Why
> not just a new "Linux" mouse standard too?
>
> So now to deal with an ADB (or other non-PS/2) input system, we need to
> work with
> three sets of standards: ADB, PS/2, and "Linux"- the last of which is
> part PS/2 and
> part something completely different?  And such standby tools as showkey
> are
> broken?  And this in a kernel-image in r2?  Sure, that will be perfectly
> clear to
> everyone the first time.

Showkey is not broken. You keyboard is still spitting ADB keycodes unless you do
activate /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes

You don't seem to be able to make the difference between keyboard keycodes, and
PS/2 emulation. The keyboard input layer either sends ADB keycodes or Linux
keycodes. And ADB/USB mice are emulated as PS/2 mice...

OK, so I have my iBook in front of me, read the page, and in about 3 minutes I
came up with this.

hiro:~# echo "1" >/proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/mouse_button_emulation
hiro:~# echo "87" > /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/mouse_button2_keycode
hiro:~# echo "88" > /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/mouse_button3_keycode

And now I have Mouse button 2 as "F11" and Mouse button 3 as "F12"
Simply replace the 87, and 88 by the keys you want, as long as you take them
from http://homepages.munich.netsurf.de/Franz.Sirl/input.h

> > And, for F*ck's sake read the page. That's one week that you're
> talking
> > about things that are explained on this page...
>
> Maybe you should get some netiquette.  Saying stupid things like this
> just gets
> people mad at you, and puts Debian in a bad light.

I have some netiquette and behave like a normal person. Excuse me if I'm getting
mad when I see during one week people filling up my mailbox with questions that
are already answered on a (more than once mentioned) webpage.

> With breakage this bad mid-release in stable, and documentation this
> poor, I expect
> the confused posts will continue for another month or two.  Learn to
> deal with it,
> or just use the "delete" button.

If you can't get yourself to read and understand the poor documentation, you'd
better not use Linux in the first place. The biggest problem I see with the
e-mails I had in my box is that instead of saying "I don't understand what the
webpage says", or "I'm confused because  the instructions on the webpage don't
work for me", we had a lot of "Of course I did that" and "there is a problem
with the kernel" (genuine quotes).
Of course there were absolutely no problems with the kernel, only people that
are not reading (or applying) the documentation well.

Cheers

/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net