.Xmodmap and new input layer, upgrades and breakage

Hello,

I've been annoyed for the longest time that Caps_Lock and Control_L
can't be switched on an ADB keyboard.  (When I used to try, I'd get some
pretty strange behavior, with both toggling the light but not quite
doing caps lock right- I don't quite remember, but it was pretty odd.
Heard somewhere that it was an issue in the adb keyboard driver in the
kernel...)

Now with the new input layer, I thought "Great, I can finally switch
them."  But no, trying to do so has no effect now, not even the wierd
behavior from before.

Have these keys been hardcoded?

Another thing: there have been an *awful* lot of messages to this list
about thenew input layer.  Can we expect that future kernel-image
upgrades might cause similarly widespread breakage, or will there be
some effort to avoid this in the future, and let people choose to get
new features by configuring and building their own kernels?  Or perhaps
should there have been a postinst in a kernel-image to install
/dev/input and suggest people re-configure gpm and X (maybe via
debconf)?

Thanks,

-Adam P.