Re: kernel 2.2.18pre17-ben1 issues

On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 10:04:22AM +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> [...]
> > the /sbin/hdparm -k 1 /dev/hda > /dev/null keeps drive settings after
> > a ide reset. the other command i my attempt to keep the drive from
> > going into powersave mode. (it does not work unfortunatly, i have IBM
> > deskstar disks in both this G3 desktop and a intel box, they both like
> > to go into powersave mode every so often for some reason)
>
> BenH, might this be the cause of some drives failing to set the DMA mode
> from the kernel side on wakeup? (Only seen on the Wallstreet IIRC..)

well from my experience on my intel box, when the disk goes to sleep
it sometimes takes too long to wake up and the kernel just resets the
IDE bus, this will always cause the disk to be reconfigured into the
most basic state (read slow as snot).  this reset happened quite often
on older kernels which is why i made that initscript.  2.2.16 has been
pretty good about not resetting things, but it still happens
occasionally.. (if anyone can tell me why the damn disk still goes to
sleep even with that hdparm command let me know)

i seem to recall reading somewhere that an IDE reset will turn off
things like DMA.  apparently the idea is if the IDE bus needs to be
reset something is screwy and perhaps DMA is the cause.  (IOW intel
IDE chipsets have been traditionally buggy)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/