Re: [Q] XFree86 4.0 config for Powerstack?

Jonathan Belson wrote:

> >Jonathan Belson wrote:
>
> >> BTW, does the Matrox driver work under PowerPC?  I have a spare
> >> Matrox Millenium sitting in my server, which doesn't even have
> >> a monitor attached...
> >
> >If matroxfb works, I think chances are high that the matrox driver works
> >too, with Option "UseFBDev".
>
> Next dumb question - if I use the frame buffer device, will it use
> hardare acceleration?  I've used unaccelerated X servers before and
> the experience was pretty painful.

First off, X 4 should be faster even without acceleration thanks to the
ShadowFB layer.

The fbdev driver can't provide acceleration as it's just a generic driver for
framebuffer devices.

The matrox driver OTOH is well accelerated, even on top of the framebuffer
device. There may be some endianness etc. bugs though.

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and the DRI project