Re: Helix Gnome for Debian/PPC available

Quoting Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk>:

> On Thu, 20 Jul 2000 19:42:26 +0200, hadess  wrote:
>
> > I'm working on a Debian-based distro for iMacs and iBooks
>
> Why not use ("plain") Debian?

Not appealling enough to the new user... _I_ can cope with Debian, but I don't
think a new user to Linux would fancy it much.
We would replace the installer for a gui one (gtk-1.3 has framebuffer support,
so it's less overhead than X-based installer), go for Gnome as the default
desktop (Helix Gnome is just a nice way to get everything from one place, and
more current than the Potato packages), add some programs that Debian wouldn't
allow (Xanim with the modules, or lame, for example), and add some configuration
tools.

Every single improvement would be sent to the upstream maintainer or the Debian
developer of the package. That's not interesting for me to do everything on my
own as it would only be harder for me to update all the packages, and the Debian
developers are doing a wonderful job.

Of course, more comments are welcome

Cheers

/Hadess