Re: Potato on RS/6000 F50 four-way

Be warned, the F50 4-way is very touchy under Linux.  I never finished my
SMP work with it before IBM pulled the plug.  There are known races so
don't rely on the thing to stay up for you :)

} I have successfully installed Debian 2.2 Potato on an IBM F50 with 4
} cpus.  Unfortunatly, I need to recompile the kernel to support SMP, and
} among other things, MSDOS filesystem.  I have had a rough time trying to
}
} get a kernel to compile (using source for 2.2.17) and I was hoping maybe
}
} someone had some tips for me as to which kernels are best suited for
} this machine, etc.
}
} I've also been trying to get a decent window manager installed for X.  I
}
} would prefer KDE, but when I try to "apt-get install kdebase", I am told
}
} that kdebase has a broken dependency for "rman" (reverse man pages
} builder I believe) and that the package is not installable b/c rman has
} no installation candidate.
}
} Finally, console-apt won't install because libapt-pkg2.6 is
} unavailable.  I *really* like capt, so that's just sort of on the wish
} list.
}
} If anyone can aid me to resolve any of these problems, I'd be quite very
}
} obliged.
}
} Thanks as always,