Re: Dual boot - MacOS / Debian

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 08:01:14PM -0400, Brian Almeida wrote:
> Ok, I've been reading the list archives all day and I'm at least a little
> more familiar with the process, but still am not certain.
>
> I've recently acquired a G4 through work.  It's got a zip disk and 2 18GB scsi
> disks.  Right now MacOS 9 is on disk 1, and disk 2 is empty.  I'd like to have
> one disk for MacOS and the other for Debian.  My question is, do I need to blow
> away the first drive in order to set up the bootstrap partition, or can I do it

the bootstrap partition must be the first partition on the first disk
lest you be forced to dick around in OpenFirmware.

i would reccommend giving the entire first disk to Debian and the
second disk to MacOS.  this way the first disk need not have all that
driver partition garbage.  and you won't have to fsck with OF.

> on the second drive, and then use the mac control panel to tell it to boot off
> the second drive?  Or do I need to wipe the first drive, then create a

no you cannot use the macos control panel to dual boot.

> bootstrap partition, then install macos, then install debian on the second
> drive?  The machine is fairly pristine, and I have the MacOS 9 install disk.  I

you can have the bootstrap partition on the first disk and debian on
the second, but i do not reccommend it.  you would have to figure out
the OpenFirmware path for the second disk.  which is a royal fscking
pain in the arse.  if you dedicate the first disk to debian you can
just use hd: in yaboot.conf and leave OF at its default settings to
boot.  much much simpler.

> also have a potato CD that I made today from yesterday's archive, but it is not
> bootable (I forgot to have hfsutils installed).  What would be the recommended
> course of action here?  I really have no preference what OS goes on what disk.

debian dedicated to the first disk, use mac-fdisk and blow away the
entire partition table, get rid of all that macos driver partition
junk.  create bootstrap first (Apple_Bootstrap 800K)  then the rest of
the linux partitions.

as for the CD, do it again and make a bootable one.  it makes things
much easier.  you can setup yaboot on the zip disk but you have to
dick around in OF to boot it.  with a bootable CD you just boot it
like a macos CD.  you should never even have to enter OpenFirmware at
all.

> This is my first real stab at installing a dual-boot machine on a platform
> other than i386, so I may be unaware of the capabilities of the mac hardware.
> Advice/Suggestions/etc appreciated.

see above.  if you follow my advice your experience won't be much
different from an i386, if you don't then it will be very painful and
you will begin to see intel hardware as very elegant and modern and
easy unlike powerpcs ;-)

please see my yaboot docs at my web page (see .sig) and my debian
install docs addendums at:

http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/debian/

--
Ethan Benson