Feedback

 Hi,

 This is some feedback on the latest distribution when using my
 PowerBook 1999.

 Kernel: I am still using 2.2.15pre20. This is because today's rsync
 tree, that I compiled as usual, does recognize the InfraRed on
 /dev/ttyS1 (I can see it with ifconfig), but it does not recognize
 the modem on /dev/ttyS0.

 gpm: when installing the package, the configurator should be
 triggered in order to chose the device etc. The given setting is
 /dev/ttyS1 (the InfraRed!). When triggering gpmconfig by hand,
 ttyS1 is skipped immediately, but /dev/adbmouse is still not
 recognized. I had to set it by hand.

 pmud: again, great work!

 gkrellm: it is still version 0.9.8-2. We need >= 0.9.9 in order to
 install Joseph's new pmu plugin (that must be inserted in woody).

 I am updating the Modem and DNS sections of my (1999) PowerBook page
 at http://www.dcs.qmw.ac.uk/~sb/PowerBook.html, and I would like you
 to give it a try. The settings work for me, but there is always space
 for improvement. In particular, on the Modem section, it is not yet
 clear how to use wvdial as non-root, possibly via
 gkrellm. Furthermore, it all works only if you ``ifconfig eth0
 down''. ppp should temporarily take the control, but it does not.
 Concerning the Domain Name Server, I am still wondering about the way
 of setting the IPs automatically. The instructions are in draft form,
 so let me know if you have difficulties in following them.

 Thanks,
 Sergio