Re: deb-ppc: recommended browser and email client ?

Hi,

Now in Japan, GTK+ based mail client called "sylpheed" develops
for whole Unix based systems by HIroyuki Yamamoto.
It opens as "alpha-version" now, but feels stable on normal use.
It looks like some Windoze mailers, menu based settings, feels
easy to use.

Features:
 Light weight
 cool interface
 easy to set/use

Now implemented
 multi-account
 MH format mail handring
 multi-part MIME
 clickable URI
 Address book (XML based database)
 NNTP reader
 APOP account
 gettext message system for internationalization
and so on.

It develops on Debian/x86, and works on Linux-x86/PPC,Solaris,
FreeBSD, with GTK+ libs.

Now Mr. Yamamoto updates and implements new features day by day.
Web(Japanese only): http://www.kcn.ne.jp/~hiro-y/

Return for :
From: Brendan Simon <brendan.simon@ctam.com.au>
on " deb-ppc: recommended browser and email client ? "
date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 11:39:47 -0500 >>>

>I've just got X windows running (limping) on my powerbook.  I was using
>communicator on my Intel laptop and would probably stuck with it (even
>though it is a *big* memory hog and has some bugs) but it is not
>packaged for powerpc.  This surprises me a little with the impending 2.2
>release.  I thought communicator would be a high priority for a lot of
>people.  Since communicator is not available, I have installed Mozilla.
>I can email and browse but this product crashes quite often.  I think it
>is Milestone14 and I know Milestone15 has be released.
>
>What are other people using for web browsing and email clients on their
>powerpc machines ?
>Any recommendations ?
>Is communicator going to be available anytime in the near future ?
>Is Mozilla going to replace communicator at any stage ?
>Would I be better off sticking to Mozilla and hoping that the features
>catch up to Communicator's real soon ?
>
>I thought that Mozilla and Communicator are from the same source code,
>so why are some of the features missing in Mozilla ?  Are they supposed
>to be in sync or are they totally seperate projects ?  They do look
>quite different but someone told me that the new version of Communicator
>looks similar to Mozilla.  Is this true ?
>
>Thanks,
>Brendan Simon.

Best regards.
Kaz Aoshima = Editor of the PReP station
Material development, Faculty of engineering,
Tohoku University, Japan
E-mail:aoshimak@mail.cc.tohoku.ac.jp
#I would appreciate if you could give me suggestions
 for my impolite English expressions.